Friday, April 9, 2010

Spring chickens


Wow! It has been over 6 months since I last posted. Trevor and I are doing very good. God has continued to bless us and our marriage. Well this morning I went to the post office and when I got home I decided to do a blog post on what I had picked up there for Trevor.


He now has 100 some chicks.



You might ask why, what for, or what brought this about?


Well you see...
Last year Trevor decided to give raising some meat chickens a try. So after reading Joel Salatin's book "Pastured Poultry Profits" and putting together a small brooder he ordered 20 Cornish Cross chicks. :) They are cute at first...


and then in my point of view they are just ugly as they start getting their fathers.


Missy would get so jealous of the Chicks and would demand Trevor's attention.

One day I went outside and found that the chickens had gotten out of their pen and Missy was quite happily trying to 'help' catch them so she ended up being put into the brooder till Trevor got home and caught the chickens. She did not like this at all! She sat there and gave me the most pitiful puppy eyes every time I passed her.



After getting out of their pen when no one was home we had 11 casualties, and one in critical care that ended up not making it.

Around week nine my dad and brothers came over to help with the butchering


And after thinking about it... Trevor wanted to try again.

1 comment:

kababadah said...

YAY! a blog post.i hope to see another one with pictures soon. =)